1.25.2012

It's Cold and My Knee Hurts

{ Image source: Pinterest }
It just so happens that if you start living your life instead of just writing about it, you get inspired to write about your life.

As I was drifting around the house yesterday trying to figure out what to do while the kids were napping, I came to the realization that it's the end of January and I'm supposed to run a 5K in April. Granted, I haven't signed up for it yet, but I have the one picked out and I have a potential running buddy. As far as I'm concerned, it's happening. (Plus, it's on my list of Things To Do Before I Turn 30.)

Part of the reason I decided to wait until nearly the last possible second to run this stupid race (aside from loathing running) is because I was on the Dukan Diet and he specifically recommends not starting a new workout program until you can start incorporating carbs back into your food intake. By the time that happened, it was REAL COLD outside, and the only thing I hate more than running is running in the cold. Hate it. SO MUCH.

Then, I went on vacation and gained 10 pounds. So I'm back on the diet. I'm not eating carbs. I'm cranky as shit. And I haven't run since 2010.

However, running that stupid race is a goal, and I'm nothing if not committed to seeing things through to the best of my ability. So I did a little research into this Couch to 5K program that people seem to love and decided to start last night. In the dark. And the cold. Without gloves or earmuffs. (Stupid stupid stupid.)

The entire time I was jogging/walking, I kept thinking what an idiot I am for putting that on my list. I mean, I know I hate running and I'm not required to do it anymore, so what the hell?

I guess it's just something that has always been at the back of my mind. As far back as elementary school, not being able to run far or fast has been my biggest obstacle to playing sports and being fit. As a gymnast, I could turn flips around my teammates and I was strong, but when it came to cardio, I was a wreck. When I played volleyball, the main thing that my coach would yell at me about was not being able to keep up with the other girls. In college ... well, I was barely able to hold on to my scholarship some semesters.

I don't think that this is going to change. I'm not going to fall in love with running, and when I do run this 5K, I'm certainly not going to be the fastest. But I just want to say that I did it, just once.

Have any of you tried the Couch to 5K program? Did it work for you?

1 comment:

  1. Running sucks hardcore. That said, I've completed the first 3 days of it, and if anything's going to get me back to running (even now as I don't have to either), that program would be it. It's painful to start up again, but the steps are small. My cousins that have done it successfully completed a 5K when they were done, so there's hope! Good luck with it! -Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...