3.27.2012

Back Broken

{ Image source: Emily Higginson }
My poor, broken body.

Since mid-February, I've been going to my kids' gym to work on learning the USA Gymnastics Level 5 floor exercise routine. Every evening that I go, I come home hurting. But last night, I hurt myself.

I haven't been in a few weeks because I've had other obligations. Last night, however, I had the opportunity and energy to go. So I did.

It was more playful than it has been in a while. There are some new people coming and learning, and they're a lot of fun. Some of the other staff members have been hanging around more because, let's face it, the new people are good-looking guys in their mid-twenties and the staff members are single females. The two coaches leading the sessions are starting to warm to me - I'm no longer just one of the moms but am now one of the adult gymnasts as well. It's a nice feeling.

Anyway, I took a more relaxed attitude towards the evening, working on a little of this, a little of that, moving from a routine dance-through to working on back extension rolls to a few tumbling runs. And that's where I ran into trouble.

I forgot to warm up my back before working on back handsprings.

I'm not as young as I used to be, and I'm not nearly as flexible or strong as I used to be. As a result, I have to really stretch my back and torso before doing anything bendy, and I have to be really careful and precise when tumbling. And I wasn't.

I felt it mid-air: my feet were behind me when I started the back handspring. They should have been in front of me. And having that small mistake basically broke me in half.

I spent the rest of the evening bent over to try to stretch out my back. I barely made it home. Once there, wine and a hot bath helped, but this morning, I woke up extremely stiff. Which is really unfortunately, because I had stuff to do today.

I'm not going back this week. To be honest, this may have cut my goal short. This is something I want to do, but not at the expense of being able to function in my day-to-day life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh cripes--that seriously sucks!! Back injuries are no joke. I really hope you heal up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well-wishes! I spent most of Tuesday on my back and woke up fine this morning. A little yoga helped too :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...