4.06.2012

Pithy Quotes for Your Friday Reading Pleasure

My eight-year-old recently told me that she wanted to read The Hunger Games. I told her no because, you know, she's EIGHT. Post-apocalyptic, dystopian fiction is hardly appropriate for a third-grader. But then I thought, A-ha! We can use this as a teaching tool! So we struck a deal.

Before she can read The Hunger Games Trilogy, she needs to finish The Underland Chronicles (also by Suzanne Collins), a book about the Roman Gladiators (she picked The Gladiators from Capua, by Caroline Lawrence), and a piece either by or about Seneca, Caesar, or Claudius.

She picked Seneca. So we researched him.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, commonly known as Seneca the Younger, was a humorist, dramatist, philosopher, and all-around literary bad-ass. He was forced to commit suicide (hmm, sound familiar? See: Crane, Seneca) for alleged complicity in a plot to assassinate Nero, a man whom he tutored and advised before the Crazy-Pants decided to fiddle while his empire burned.

Seneca also has some fun quotes attributed to him.

Instead of doing things like wash dishes and sweep floors, I made two fun little graphics for your Friday viewing pleasure. I will be pinning these. You may also do so.



Enjoy your fun quotes, and Happy (Good) Friday!

~~~~~~~~~~
Connect with me on TwitterLinkedIn, and Pinterest.
~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Florida! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you present here and can't wait to take a look when
    I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
    . Anyways, awesome blog!
    Also visit my weblog Fast Cash Loan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...