5.04.2012

Book and Booze Reviews: Homemade Kahlua

{Image source: Merve Coskun on Pinterest }
Holy amazeballs, I'm never buying Kahlua again. I'm going to make my own from now on.

I stumbled upon The Cupcake Project last week while looking for recipes for Homemade Irish Cream. I found one there, as well as a recipe for Homemade Kahlua.

I guess it's technically "homemade coffee liqueur," as Kahlua is the brand name, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. What matters is that THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. I take back what I said about Pimm's being the most amazing liquor ever. This is. (BTW, how many times can I say "amazing" in one post?)

Anyway. It's a Saturday afternoon, my husband is away on work, and it's raining outside. What else was I going to be besides make my own booze?

I modified the original recipe to accommodate for the fact that I don't need 1.5 liters of coffee liqueur. I only needed 750ml, so I cut everything in half. (Ish.)

Homemade Coffee Liqueur (modified from this recipe at The Cupcake Project)

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Brew coffee. Stir in brown sugar and let cool.
  2. Pour vanilla extract, vodka, and coffee mixture into a clean bottle. Shake to mix.
  3. Serve over ice or in a mixed drink.
I tested out a small dram of this on its own, and again, HOLY AMAZEBALLS. It's sweet, it's smooth, and it's not overpowering. I'm not exactly sure how to store it; logic tells me that it should be okay in the bar as long as it is tightly sealed, but it's been in the refrigerator for almost a week now and is delightful. I'm not going to mess with that works.

This recipe actually made about 1 L of liqueur, so I ended up with one slightly less alcoholic bottle. I suppose the downside of making your own is that you don't know the exact alcohol percentage, but that's a downside I'm willing to take.

I give this: five of five bottles. (Like stars, but not.)

~~~~~~~~~~
Connect with me on Facebook, TwitterLinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, and Goodreads.
~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. If you ended up with 1L of coffee liquor, and the Finlandia you used is 40% alc/vol (which it should be), your final drink will be 10% alc/vol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, except that I made the bottles separately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will be passing this on to a friend! but holy amazeballs! i like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for passing it on! I'm trying Homemade Irish Cream next, and I can't wait!

      Delete
  4. That's incredible. I had no idea. I'm tempted to try this method using espresso, and then use it to top ice cream! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until i stumble upon the recipe! Making it with espresso sounds delicious - a stronger coffee flavor with a touch of sweet boozy goodness.

      I wonder if you could reduce the liquid over low heat to make a syrup for your ice cream.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...