5.18.2012

Book and Booze Reviews: The Mother-Daughter Book Club

I've been on a bit of a young adult (YA) literature kick recently, I think because I'm in the process of doing some rather dry, heavy research for an article I'm writing. For pleasure reading, I want something lighter and more fun.

Enter The Mother-Daughter Book Club, by Heather Vogel Frederick.

I found this series while browsing the juvenile literature section of our local library for the last book of The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins. The fourth book of the series, Pies and Prejudice, was on display, and I was so tickled by the title that I had to pick it up. (As with all of my YA reads, I chose it under the guise of previewing it for my eight-year-old.) I read it in less than a day, and I was hooked. I had to go back to the beginning to find out how this club and these characters got started.

I wasn't disappointed. The Mother-Daughter Book Club is about, you guessed it, a book club for mothers and daughters. It's set in Concord, Massachusetts, and is comprised of four mother-daughter pairs: Emma and Phoebe Hawthorne, club bookworm and town librarian; Jessica and Shannon Delaney, animal lover and soap star; Megan and Lily Wong, Concord's fashionista and crunchy do-gooder; and Cassidy and Clementine Sloane, Girl Jock and former supermodel.

After being roped into the book club by their mothers, the girls set out to read Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. Over the course of the year, their lives unfold eerily similarly to the lives of the March girls, from boy trouble to dealing with queen bee Becca Chadwick and her battle ax mother Calliope. Each of the daughters find a literary companion in the March sisters, and use the lessons they learn from the novel to solve problems in their own lives.

The Mother-Daughter Book Club is a light, engaging read appropriate for girls 10-14 or for lovers of YA literature. It aptly shows that art reflects life, and that there's more to books than just words strung together.

I give this: 4 out of 5 books.

 ~~~~~~~~~~
Connect with me on Facebook, TwitterLinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, and Goodreads.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...