5.14.2012

Bookshelf Poetry Challenge 001: The Opener

I wish I could lie and say that the Bookshelf Poetry Challenge was my idea, but it's not. I saw a pin on Pinterest and was so intrigued by the idea of forming free verse based on book titles that I had to give it a shot. And then I posed the idea to a few others, and they wanted to give it a shot, and things kind of took off from there. So now, we're doing a series.

For the BPC, the rules are very simple: create a poem based on book from your bookshelf. The topic is open, the form is open, the only restriction is that the books must come from your own shelf. In addition to creating some amazing poetry, you may also find something new to read!

Once you've created your poem, take a picture and upload it to your website, blog, Facebook page, Instagram, whatever, and then leave the link in the Mister Linky box at the bottom of this post.

And now, my short poem about adultery:

The other woman 'tis
stepping on the cracks beyond good and evil.
The day awaits a very easy death
That others may live.


The books:

UPDATE: I found the post from Brain Pickings that inspired this series. They have curated four volumes thus far; be sweet and visit the other three: "Get Smarter," "New York," and "Music."



~~~~~~~~~~
Connect with me on Facebook, TwitterLinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, and Goodreads.
~~~~~~~~~~

23 comments:

  1. Weyhey! Here we go, friends! My bookie-doo is at http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/bookshelf-poetry-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... wow! I like how this turned out a lot! Can't wait to do mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd seen that pin but hadn't tried it yet - I love yours! I also love the design of your site - I'm off to check out other pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I designed it myself :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this. My brain has been very reluctant lately to wrap itself around writing. This was just the curiosity needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad to host this here. Now if only the entire form was my idea ...

      Delete
  5. Lynn, I'll be posting my effort on Claudsy's blog in a little while, complete with photo. I decided to create an entire poetry corner to play poems in for my readers. You gave me the impetus I needed.

    Thanks. Having a great time with this. Hope everyone enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing yours, as well as the new poetry corner!

      Delete
  6. This was a blast, Lynn, THANK YOU! :) I linked back to you. Hope you'll get some more "takers" for this awesome challenge.

    de jackson
    www.whimsygizmo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad that you enjoyed the challenge and will be back next week for more!

      Delete
  7. Lynn, this was fun and just what I needed today. I updated my post to mention you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! I appreciate the link back.

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, this one's a good one. Checking out the others in a moment. Very nice of you to stop by at my blog for my BS Poetry attempts at:
    http://tinyurl.com/cpvlw4p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you come back next week for more of it here!

      Delete
  9. Lynn -
    Wow! Your erasure poem is very powerful! And you had the perfect books for it - or you thought of a perfect poem w/your books. I don't know which order the poem originates from - books, one's thoughts, &/or a combination of the two! - I think the process and the outcome are so creative and fun. This gives me the motivation to do it - in the morning. I need a good night's sleep to encourge my creativity to percolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a combination. I spent an hour combing our bookshelf and pulled out all of the titles that I thought would work and then another 45 minutes playing with them. If anything, it gave me a sense of what we have on our shelves!

      Delete
  10. These are great!! What a lift this was in mid-afternoon having almost lost all motivation! Just the remedy! Thank you, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lynn. This was fun.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it; I did too!

      Delete
  12. Hi Lynn,
    Going to go thru my library and see what I come up with and link back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...